Tuesday 16 July 2013

Monday 15th July

A day that will go down in history. In one of two ways, either we remember today wishing we had done more and walked away with a silver medal. Or we will forever remember the day we dominates a world tournament and finish as number one. It all lied in our hands.

We face a Mexican team with senior international players, an eye for goal and a well drilled style of play. We knew it would be a tough challenge and literally every player had to be on their game, but above all else this was a chance to make history. No GB women's team has ever won gold at football in the university games, we could be the first.

As always we wanted preparation to be down to a tee and as routined as possible. The only part of the morning different to usual was that in our pre game meeting we decided to make a pledge. They were individual and had to be what you would give to the team in the game today, it showed us much we all wanted it and it was also proof that no-one was going to sit back and leave anything behind. If we lost, then fair play because we gave it our all. And if we won we would know we fought for it hard and no-one could beat our team spirit.

No-one anticipated just how big this game was and at the beginning of the trip none of us had the expectation of making the final, so to be in this position was unreal and we was going to enjoy it. Mexico with their goal threat scored first early on with a flood of players running forward. Then we had a corner, Michelle put it onto Kerys' head and it bounced on the 6yard box. What came over me then was pure instinct, swivel and hit the ball low. God knows where it would end up but today was the lucky day, bottom corner. I had scored in a final or a major competition. Priceless. Now to ensure we won and it didn't mean anything come the end of the game.

Mexico didn't give up they kept coming at us and again they worked a ball into the box and some quick feet opened up the goal, 2-1. Surely not! We had to win! Late into the half we began to play our game and pin point their key players, eliminate them from the game and attack in numbers. It showed, a big switch of the ball by Michelle found Izzy unmarked who drilled the ball towards goal which was deflected into the roof of the net. 2-2, get in.

Second half, we always come out flying after halftime and improve significantly. It must have been a feature of our tournament because today again it was the same. However no breakthrough, just more possession, more chances and starting to turn the screw. We felt more settled and we tightened up at the back alot. It wasn't until very late on in the game that we got the significant 3rd goal. A quick 3 pass switch from right to left found Fran Kirby who as always is finding the net and didn't let us down. 3-2 with 10minutes left.

Mexico pushed numbers forward and in doing so left space at the back, we capitalised on this with a 3v1 situation. Fran crossed from the left, it bypassed Dan Carter but Aileen casually sidefooted it into the net. 4-2... That was the moment I began to realise that I was within touching distance of a gold. We was so nearly there, 5minutes to hold on. But instead of holding on we kept going, Kasia looped a ball into Fran Kirbys path and easily our goal of the tournament, she half volleyed a left footed shot that found the inside of the net. I don't think any keeper would have saved it, was pure tekkers! 5-2, now we could admit we had won gold, the celebrations were madness and I was caught up with emotion that I couldn't stop smiling. Even as the game carried on I was still smiling knowing we had done the job.

One last goal was in us though, against all the odds in what was infact a very close game we completed the scoring with Fran on a hat trick having her shot saved by the keeper only for it to fall to Dan Carter to place the ball into an empty net. 6-2, wow, for any final that is a shockingly high scoring game and believe me it was never a 6-2 game. Mexico were a great side but in those last 10minutes everything went right, it showed how much quality we had going forward and how no-one could stop us at putting the ball in the net.

As the final whistle blew all I remember is squatting to the floor, arms aloft and bursting into tears. Tears of joy and relief. At the fact that a childhood dream had just been fulfilled, I had won a major tournament for my country and I couldn't have done it with a better bunch of players. All 19 of my team mates and the 7 staff members on this trip have been perfectly linked in making our team work, everything about the atmosphere, the closeness of the group, the balance of training was met to absolute perfection and that made us thrive when it come to games. We have done it, world champions at the university games, how many people can say that? And trust me it'll be many years before I stop mentioning it at every given opportunity.

I'm so proud of what we've achieved and anyone who knows me will say how passionate I am about winning and succeeding. That's probably why I burst into tears when we won instead of being filled with happiness, it was the kid inside me coming out and the thought of putting a gold medal on was overwhelming in that moment.

Today Monday the 15th of July will forever be remembered as the day I scored in a final and won a gold medal playing the sport I love. What more could you ask for? It's a dream I've had since I was so young so forgive me if you ever feel in milking this occasion but things like this don't happen regularly so I am going to enjoy my success and my teams success for many years to come.

Naomi Cole, Team GBR #3... GOLD MEDAL WINNER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment